Home > Forum > Open Chat:Thoughts and debates > Foreign teachers in China
Open Chat:Thoughts and debates
Titles: Foreign teachers in China Update time: Jan 03, 2013
1#
I've been meaning to say this but never had guts to actually say it. Since this is the beginning of a new year it's a wonderful time to start talking about something important. I think some of the foreign teachers (almost all of them "teaching" English) are nothing but embarrassment. I re-emphasize the word "some" because I know for a fact that there are many good English eachers out there. But there are in my opinion many who are not and I think the number of bad teachers is increasing. I'm not a full-time teacher never will but I do sometimes teach math & science at one of those training centers and also at colleges. One of my mentors told me a long time ago that borrowing a famous quote from General Patton teachers should lead follow AND get out of the way (of) students. Those embarassing teachers do none of those. Except being a native speaker and marketable appearance (i.e. Caucasian) they have no ability to lead English proficiency of students. They don't follow as they have no interest in learning China or Chinese culture except getting laid. And they DO get in the way when other teachers or schools want to change something unless it makes their job easier. [ Last edited by goemong at 3-1-2013 15:20 ]
Titles: Update time: Jan 03, 2013
2#
So your New Year's resolution was to gain the courage to anonymously post smack on a web forum? Everything you posted could equally be attributed to people of any profession. I agree that there are many bad "teachers" in China but who's to blame? The person who found an employer willing to pay them for being what they are; or the school that has no interest in furthering education and only cares about revenue?
3#
It's all about money so teachers wii be trained just enough for them to be profitable. Welcome to privatised education in a free market economy.
4#
It's probably not inaccurate to say that foreign English teachers are the bottom rung of the expat ladder. It's true most teaching jobs that I know of - mine included - only require native speaker status and a university degree. Hardly formidable hurdles to overcome. Amongst my "colleagues" that I've met there is definitely a subset of "gap-year" folks that are just here for the adventure. These people tend (in my opinion) to see China as a wonderland where they can do whatever they want without any dire consequences on their "real" lives back home (wherever that may be). I make no guess as to what percentage of foreign teachers fall into this subset. This is not just unfortunate for the students involved but probably detrimental as well. The Chinese education system already seems to have a knack for crushing the free thought and creativity out of its students so I won't go so far as to say that one bad foreign teacher will ruin a student's entire educational experience but surely there is a lasting impact. These students in question are real people unique individuals with hopes and dreams and fears and failures. Any teacher who is really a teacher should teach to the person not just the subject matter. Or as Goemong adapted the quote "lead follow and get out of the way." This is the kind of teacher that I aspire to be. I make no pretense as to my qualifications (or lack thereof) and see my students (all 1300 of them to date) as my reason for being here. I know that I'm not alone in this perspective but at times it does seem like I'm in the minority. As to Lethe's comment yes the schools are also to blame in this - most times I think they get exactly what they ask for. As for Nowhereman I'd also agree that there is a supply/demand factor that drives this but I'm not sure that a lack of privatization would substantially reduce the issue. Another topic for another thread perhaps. [ Last edited by Tdog at 3-1-2013 19:50 ]
5#
It's pretty obvious you DID spend a lot of time thinking about this but your complaints aren't really fair and even the quotation that you're trying to use as a framing device is clumsy. Teachers here only want to get laid? Even the women? I'm a foreign teacher (Asian-American so I'm not a white person) but are you really ready to say that a lot of the women came over with the intention of getting laid? The assertion that foreigners are unwilling to comply with the demands of the schools is also...odd. If the employers don't like their employees all they have to do is fire them. It's pretty similar to any other job. Maybe it's because my job required me to have a Master's degree and teaching experience but the people I'm around are all qualified teachers. If other schools have bad teachers their employers should really do something about it.

Titles:

Content: